F.A.Q. Including How to Get Here
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are you located?
We're a 12-minute drive from Robert Llewellyn Bradshaw International Airport (SKB), the historic capital Basseterre, as well as a choice of two beaches.
What kind of accommodations do you have?
We offer 23 rooms and suites housed in cottages as well as the Great House—furnished in an English colonial style with plantation shutters, wicker and carved mahogany furniture, and local art and crafts.
What kind of nearby activities are available?
Excursions are available locally with a guide into the nearby rain forest and volcano hikes. Explore Ottley's own rain forest ravine by foot or mountain bike. St. Kitts Scenic Island Railway offers a journey through beautiful areas of St Kitts—remember to order a packed lunch. Catamaran day charters to sister island Nevis, including snorkeling, Eco Adventure Sky Safaris, and zipline rides. Horse riding, scuba diving, snorkeling, boat and car hire can be arranged locally. Golf includes an 18-hole championship course that is open at the Marriott on Frigate Bay, 20 minutes from Ottley's.
Do you offer shuttle transportation to the beaches?
The inn offers complimentary daily shuttle service to a choice of two Caribbean beaches that are approximately 15 - 20 minutes away, the capital city of Basseterre, and to the golf course at the Marriott in Frigate Bay. The shuttle departs from Ottley's at 11 a.m., and picks up at 4:00-4:30pm. Shuttle service to a more distant beach available at the end of the Southeast Peninsula is also offered for a nominal fee. A picnic lunch can be ordered for those intending to spend the day by the sea or elsewhere on the island.
What are the check-in and check-out times?
Check-in time is at 3 p.m. and check-out time is at 12 noon. However, the hotel will do what is possible to accommodate early arrivals or late check-outs.
What are your policies regarding children?
Children are welcome year-round. Please contact the hotel for the best possible price arrangement and room type. Children under 10 years are usually accommodated in the Royal Suite Cottage or Grand Villa only, and are asked to use the plunge pools at those accommodations as the main pool is for adults only. Baby sitting is available for $12 per hour.
What's the climate like?
Saint Kitts enjoys a pleasant average temperature of 79ºF (24ºC) year-round. The constant northeast trade winds keep the island cool throughout most of the year. The annual rainfall averages 55 inches with no official rainy season.
Are there any times of the year that you aren't open?
Ottley's is usually closed for the month of September, and sometimes late August and early October. Please contact us directly for exact dates.
What payment methods do you accept?
We accept credit cards (MasterCard, Visa and Discover) as well as traveler's checks. We use the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar, but U.S. dollars are readily acceptable, and currency can be exchanged at our hotel.
Personal checks are not accepted. Also, we no longer accept American Express.
Do you have a dress code?
You can expect a usual casual resort-style dress code during the day. At dinnertime, dress code is "smart casual," meaning no shorts, jeans or t-shirts, and all men wearing collared shirts. Jacket and tie are never required. Evenings can be cool, so a light jacket or shawl is advisable, especially during winter months.
May I rent a car on the island?
If you desire to rent a car, the agency requires a local license. One may be obtained for a fee with the presentation of a valid driver's license at the rental agency.
What kind of electrical power is available on the island?
Each room is run on 110 volts of power, and blow dryers are provided in your guest room.
Do you provide entertainment?
During the winter season, we do offer occasional onsite entertainment for our guests.
What kind of recreational facilities can be found at your hotel?
We offer a restaurant and bar, spring-fed swimming pool, spa, tennis court, croquet, rainforest trails, shuttle service to two nearby beaches as well as downtown Basseterre and a nearby golf course.
What sort of Internet access and business facilities are available?
Free wireless is available in some public areas (Great House gallery and great room, and the pool area), and in most accommodations. There is one computer with Internet access available for guest use, located in the reception office. Guests may receive faxes at Ottley's fax number with a charge of $1 per page. Rates vary for sending faxes, subject to the destination of the fax.
How to Get Here
Vacationers, wedding guests, couples and groups seeking a tropical, off-the-beaten path getaway travel from all over the world to rest, relax and rejuvenate at the one-of-a-kind resort that is Ottley's Plantation Inn at Saint Kitts island in the West Indies. The majority of our guests come from the United States and the United Kingdom, as well as Europe, Canada and the Caribbean. We're pleased to offer you with the most convenient routes we know, no matter where it is you're coming from.
PLEASE NOTE THAT AIRLINE SCHEDULES CHANGE FREQUENTLY. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WAS ACCURATE WHEN THE OTTLEYS.COM SITE WAS LAST UPDATED. CHECK WITH THE AIRLINES FOR CURRENT SCHEDULES
From North America:
- Direct service to St. Kitts from Charlotte on US Airways on Saturdays
- Direct service to St. Kitts from Miami on American Airlines daily
- Direct service on American Airlines from JFK-New York once or twice weekly (seasonal)
- Direct service on Delta Airlines from Atlanta on Saturdays
- From Canada: One stop connection on AA, Delta, US Airways, Air Canada
From London, United Kingdom:
- Direct service to St Kitts with British Airways (twice weekly)
- Direct service to Antigua (with the scheduled service from London via British Airways and Virgin Atlantic) and onwards to St. Kitts by shared or private charter, or LIAT, who have a good internal service from and to St Kitts with most of the Caribbean islands
- Approximate flying time between Antigua and St. Kitts is 20 minutes and a local ferry service offers daily departures to Nevis
From Many European, Canadian and South American Cities
- Fly to London, Miami, St. Maarten, Antigua or San Juan with easy connections to St. Kitts
- Direct service on British Airways from London to St. Kitts on Saturdays and Tuesdays
- Flights and schedules change frequently; contact us for advice and the latest flight information.
- From the U.S. and Canada: American, Continental, US Airways, Delta and other airlines offer direct flights to San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) from many cities. From there, take American Eagle or LIAT to St. Kitts or fly to St. Maarten (SXM) or Antigua (ANU), and then LIAT onward to St. Kitts.
- When you are ready to plan your travel, we can provide the most up-to-date information.
- Passport or other proof of citizenship is required for travel to St. Kitts.
The Airport & Travel Time
We're nine miles away from the Robert Llewellyn Bradshaw (RLB) International Airport—the booking code for which is SKB. We happily arrange a taxi transfer from from the airport that can be contracted directly with Ottley's. Taxi fees are approximately $30 each way.